Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Laundry in South Africa


Well, I had a few minutes extra today so I thought I would write up a few blogs about random things in South Africa.
First, I'll tell you about doing laundry here. This may not be a big deal to anyone else but I have finally learned to hang laundry well. Hanging laundry really has a bit of an art to it. You can't hang t-shirts from the shoulders our you'll get a pinched spot on top, but if you hang them from the bottom you have to make sure to clip them in the middle so they don't stretch on the sides. You have to space things out correctly and turn them towards the sun. Okay, maybe its not that complicated, but my first few attempts left me with funny looking clothes.
I've discovered I actually like hanging the laundry out. There is something so peaceful about it. I think South Africans must like the peacefulness of it, also. They have clothes dryers here and many people own them but they are seldom used. They are considered bad for you clothes. The people who own them just use them in the winter when it is raining for days on end. Those without just learn to do laundry often in the winter to give it time to dry in doors.
Anyway, the picture in this blog is of the first good hanging of laundry that I did all by myself :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzassippi said...

Good job, J. :) Obviously, hanging clothes was not one of your childhood chores--as it was mine. I learned early from my mom how to hang the laundry, only we had to use a long wire and it just stretched out forever.

May 20, 2009 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I think the wires are better, though. A lot of people have them here. This circle thing that I have in my back yard is suppose to be fancier, but it makes it hard to get them spread out in the sun.....and no, hanging clothes was not a childhood chore...never done it in my life, but I like it!

May 20, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home