Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Great Day


Today was just a great day so I thought I would write a few comments. I spent the day with Eagles Rising community program today. I finally got to start a class with the second year students today. We've been trying to start for a couple of weeks, but with all the holidays it has gotten delayed. Today we started and we just started by telling our stories of what we've experienced so far in life. It was amazing and humbling to hear from these students and what they have experienced in life. One guy said his mom died when he was five and after that life was never what it was suppose to be again. Most of these students have been through so much!!!

After that I went grocery shopping with the cook. This morning she was preparing the last of the food they had. She had put everything in a soup and was just believing something would happen so she would have food to prepare tomorrow. I had some money that a lady in America had sent to me and said to use however I thought best. I had been praying about what to do and felt I should buy something for Eagles Rising. I had no idea about the food situation. But I arrived today with the money. You should have seen all the rejoicing!!!! So we went grocery shopping today. Three hours later with food packed into every available space in my car, we arrived back with enough food to carry them through next week (the picture is of all this food in the kitchen at Eagles Rising). Praise God. He knew the exact need. They really do experience a lot of miracles of food multiplying. There have been times when Auntie Cookie, the cook, simply prepared what was available. She could look at the pots of food and know it was not enough to feed the 27 students, only half the amount that she normally cooks with. But each time she is able to serve all the students. The food just multiplies as she dishes it out. It was fun to be a small part in seeing food provided today!

Then, after that I took one of the former students home to Khyalitsha, the largest township in Cape Town. This guy has been on staff at Eagles Rising for the past four months. But over the past month God has been burning a desire in his heart to begin a prayer room in Khyalitsha. He doesn't know of any prayer room there at this point. So, this young man in his early 20's left a comfortable stable job to follow God's call. His family is not Christian but they are supporting his choice to follow God in this way, which is really a miracle. I am so inspired by this young man who has made the choice to leave behind comfort to return to his home town and bring the light of Christ and the hope of God's ability to answer prayer to this difficult community. And it was such fun taking him home today. Khyalitsha is a wonderful township and the streets stay full of children playing and people walking about. I had so much fun waving at the children and meeting people here. A friend from Lubbock is coming to Cape Town this weekend for a visit. So, I arranged with this guy for the two of us to go with him to church in Khyalitsha this Sunday. I know it will be fun! Please pray for this young man...pray that God gives him grace to be home again, that salvation come to his family, that God provides him with a small house or shack that can be used as a prayer room.

Well, its 10:30pm now and I have been going, going since early this morning...I'm exhausted! I have a 7-9am prayer slot tomorrow but then I can rest because tomorrow is yet another public holiday. Yeah for public holidays!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzassippi said...

Your post and the picture elicit such warm emotions in me. I send you my best, and pray things continue to unfold for you.

April 30, 2009 at 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home