Sunday, January 31, 2010

Making donations to South African ministries

This is something I don't usually write about...but I was recently asked by a friend and I found myself saying yes to their request.
As an American in Africa I am constantly asked to let people back home know about the financial needs of ministries here. Usually I hold back and just share with people when they ask about where or how to give. But right now is a particularly difficult time for ministries here, so I decided I would share about a couple of them here on this blog.
I had a South African friend say to me one day that having no food in the house for Westerners means there are only stables and there is nothing enjoyable to eat. For lower-income people in South Africa saying there is no food in the house means the cupboards are empty and you have not eaten a few meals.
The same saying can be said for financial difficulties in ministries. I've been through financial strain at ministries in America, but it does not compare to watching ministry staff here go without pay while praying fervently that God will provide basic food for those they serve.
When I arrived in South Africa last year America was at the peak of the financial crisis while the news stations here declared that South Africa would feel the crisis in a few months time. It seems a few months time has arrived. Today on the news I heard a report from the Global Economic Summit that one of the internationally operating banks has studied the economic crisis and estimates that 100's of 1,000's of people in Africa will fall from the edge of poverty into dire poverty this year in Africa.
In light of all of this, I would like to ask you to pray about giving into ministries who are making a difference in people's lives. There are 100's of these ministries out there. I know of a handful that are dear to me.
Since I am serving at Eagles Rising, they are very dear to my heart. This ministry amazes me. I am close enough to see when they are desparately trusting God for money to keep food on the table, and yet they have never once made a request of me in regard to finances. That is huge. All it takes is hearing my American accent to keep my days full of requests for financial help. And, yet, the leaders at Eagles Rising have kept their eyes focused firmly on God for their provision (I'm not implying other ministries are not doing this, it just surprises me that as often as I am with them I have never received a request for finances.) They work with young adults ages 17-23 to provide Bible classes, life growth opportunities, and skills development to prepare these young people to live as children of God while entering into employment and education opportunities for their future. You can learn more about them at www.eaglesrising.org.za
Another group I work closely with is Benaiah Multipurpose Resource Center. I'm on their advisory committee as we get this new ministry going. This ministry is beginning in one of the most disadvantaged areas in Cape Town in order to see complete community transformation by providing skills development and resources for developing sustainable community programs to meet the needs of all age groups in Sir Lowry's Pass Village. Benaiah is at the building phase right now. There is currently a commitment from a German-based group to match half the cost of building if finances can be raised to cover the other half.
Many people want to know about helping ministries addressing children's educational needs in South Africa. The crisis of education in this nation has recently been highlighted in a major American publication and has people's attention at the moment. Dear friends of mine work closely with Eagle's Nest Ministries (www.eagles-nest.org.za). This ministry also works in an extremely under privileged community in order to provide quality education for children who would not have it otherwise. You can learn more about them through the website.
If you have other questions about where to look if you are wanting to donate in some way towards impacting South Africa, please let me know. For those of you that support me being here, I just want to say thank you!!! What a blessing it is to be a part of what God is doing here. God is allowing me to make beneficial impacts in the places where I am serving and I couldn't do it without sponsorship to make it possible for me to live here. And several times throughout this past year I have had extra finances come in so that I could give into these ministries financially where I saw the most critical needs. Thank you for helping to make this possible!!
I hope this information helps you if you have been looking for a trustworthy place to give in South Africa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home