Friday, January 15, 2010

Totsiens, Susan


On behalf of South Africa I just want to say “Totsiens, Susan.”
My former professor, Susan, from HSU back home just visited. She was actually suppose to be bringing students from the university she teaches at now. The class didn’t make, but out of her love for South Africa she came anyway and brought her son for the first time. So, they have been here for two weeks and it has been great!
The first time I came to South Africa was as a university student. Two professors helped in the process. Dan came and helped me settle in at the beginning and Susan came to evaluate the work at the end. These two professors have both been key influences in my life along the way. And over the years they have become friends.
Well, Susan fell in love with South Africa and has been here 6 times in the past 9 years. One of those times the two of us travelled here together for a fantastic summer of research.
All these years later Susan remains one of the people that God has used to have some of the greatest impact on my life.
It was her class on community practice that first opened my eyes to doing community work verses direct practice social work. Over the years I have seen in God’s Word how He loves communities and people groups. He has a great heart towards nations, tribes, tongues (i.e. people groups) and has shown me pieces of His heart towards communities and nations.
Later, after the research trip to South Africa with Susan years ago, I came home with plans of graduate school to learn more about theories around community practice. Susan always inspires me to go deeper, take the time to better understand the circumstances people struggle through, and to believe we can be part of making a difference. God has used her to touch my life many times over!
Now Susan believes her season in South Africa may be finished. She has new work to begin in a community near to here in the States.
I’m so thankful I got to spend these past two weeks with her in South Africa. I have shared so much about what I am doing here. She has once again spoken wisdom into my life and inspired me to press on. God has used her to help me in my journey again.
So, since I know she follows my blog, I wanted to take this space to say thanks!!! Thanks for all you have poured into me up to this point. Thanks for all you have poured into South Africa. You have given of yourself in a way that truly has made a great impact!! The ripples of your touch in this place will carry on.
I know you will continue to help me with questions via e-mail and you will continue to be an inspiration to me in many ways. But I’m sad to know you won’t be back here in this amazing country any time soon. I still believe one day you might come help with some group work in Sir Lowry’s Pass Village….one day. But between now and then, “Totsiens, Susan.” Thanks for your visit! Thanks for all you have invested in my life! I appreciate you so much and love ya lots, J.

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzassippi said...

Thank you, Jeanne for your kind words. You have been a blessing in my life more than you know. We are just now home and I am about to rest a bit. Thank you for all you did for me and with me and Justin during our stay. I love you.

January 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home