Sunday, January 24, 2010

Where I live in South Africa

I just had a great question from my grandmother about where I live, so I thought I would share my answer with everyone.
First, just to explain, South Africa is extremely diverse. Every area in South Africa is very different. So let me just say that I can only explain this from the perspective of living in Cape Town.
Secondly, even within this one city the cultures and areas are extremely diverse. South Africa has both 1st world conditions and 3rd world conditions. I do community work in some of the 3rd world areas of South Africa but at this point I am living in the 1st world areas. It is where God has me right now. I really prayed intensely about moving closer to the 3rd world conditions this year, but constantly I had people encouraging me to stay in the 1st world right now. Honestly, I think I need to be where I am right now to be able to learn about all the cultures here and to see more and more how people living comfortable lives need Jesus as much as anyone else, its just that they usually don't realize it. Just a few weeks ago I looked out my front window in my 1st world area and wept for this community as I read Revelation 3 about the lukewarm church. Vs. 17 "Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing' - and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked" The section goes on to say God is vomiting them out. We spend most of our time looking at things through natural eyes. Because one person is naturally wealthy, we forget to see their spiritual poverty. Another is physically poor and we spend all our energies ministering to them without recognizing the depth of spiritual wealth they often possess.
God has taught me a lot living in a wealthier area while working most days among the poorest of poor.
So, I stay here in this nice area. I live in the suburbs. I never intended for this. Most people who know me know my dislike of suburbs, and yet God keeps sending me to these areas. It works against all my stereo-types of missionary life. I waste many of my days trying to explain to God how this is not right and I should be living in bad conditions somewhere. And God keeps breaking down all my ideas so that I can see His ways are not our ways.
The suburbs I live in are very much like the suburbs of America...or at least Texas, since in reality that is the only part of America I know, and even then I don't even know anything about whole parts of south and east Texas....just goes to show how we make huge statements based on what is often a very limited understanding. Anyway, suburbs here in Cape Town are very much like suburbs I am familiar with in Texas, but with one huge difference. Everything here is surrounded with security gates and fences...even in the impoverished areas this is true. So in my suburb area every house is surrounded by gates and security fences. I live in a slightly smaller house, somewhat similar to a duplex. So what is done is that a whole "duplex" community of anywhere from 20 - 100 duplexes are all together inside of one gate...therefore it is a gated community. Or in South Africa it is called a security complex. I actually live in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town, which is widely known as the Afrikaans speaking white area of the city. Its where middle-class families with kids live so that their kids can be in safe schools. People live here by choice (versus poor communities where people are placed without choice many times). People here tend to pay a huge rent on their house. Most houses from what I have seen are not owned. Many people pay so much on their rent to be in this "safe" area that they actually hardly afford to live. Maybe I'm a bit in that category since I definitely spend more than 1/3 of my income on rent to stay in this safe area. While things look nice and safe on the outside, most people here live month to month and they live in fear...not just because of finances but they fear the loss of their physical safety if they can't stay in this area. They fear what would happen to them if racial issues erupt here. They fear because they know the masses of people in South Africa are very poor and they don't know how to relate or help in a way that is actually beneficial. They fear because everything in South Africa today is so different than what they grew up with and they don't know how to relate to the South Africa of today. They fear for their children's future in a nation where things are changing so quickly. They fear because they are South African, they know no other home, but because they are not black they are not seen as belonging to Africa. So, then, where do they belong?
This is where God has placed me right now. I live in more comfort than I expected in the natural. But spiritually my heart is torn in two for the "wealthy" of South Africa and it breaks a little more each day that I live here among them.
The bigger situation here is so complicated. Before living in the suburbs, most of my attitudes towards white South Africans were very negative. I only knew the media version and stereo-types of these people without actually knowing the people. It is easy to find examples of people who fit into the negative image of white South Africans until you start to see the hurt and fear lying behind some of the attitudes easily encountered here. But living here I've discovered that is actually even easier to find white South Africans who do not fit the negative stereo-type. So, maybe another reason God keeps me in the suburbs is to slowly breakdown any judgments I have held before. There is enough division and judgments among people here. The least helpful thing I can contribute is to add to this.
So, there is an explanation of the area I live in here.
To my South African friends who may read this....I hope I have not offended you. If I've given a wrong account of anything, please comment and correct it.
And I hope this helps everyone at home know a little more about where I am living and working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home