Saturday, June 20, 2009

A funny conversation

I just had a funny conversation with some of my South African friends. It started with, "Is it true that in America people......" followed by random things people think happen in America. This is a rather common conversation only usually its not true. Today these things were really true and it was funny that my friends find them weird.
The first question was, "Is it true that in America people that come to your house can just open up the fridge or cabinets and get what they want from the kitchen." Answer - if they know you and you have told them to fell free to help themselves, then, yes. Response - "That is so rude! Who do people think they are that they can just help themselves to the things in your kitchen." Funny? Here people serve you everything. They ask if you want something to drink or eat or whatever and they make it all for you, bring it out of the kitchen on a tray, and serve it to you.....even good friends that you know well. My neighbors are the girls at the House of Prayer. I'm in and out of their house several times every single day, but I cannot help myself to my own cup of tea in their kitchen. To me that is weird and really uncomfortable that I have to be waited on, but that's culture here.
Okay next, "Is it true..." question. Is it true that it is okay for people to brush their teeth at the kitchen sink? My response - huh? Their answer - on tv sometimes you see people brush their teeth at the kitchen sink. My response - well, if the bathroom is being used and your really tired or in a hurry; then occasionally, yes, you might use the kitchen sink to brush your teeth. Their response - "That is so gross! I would rather go brush my teeth outside if I'm in a hurry than spit in the kitchen sink."
So I told them that I think its disgusting that people here sometimes just wash out their drinking glasses with hot water and no soap. Its really gross. It makes me want to wash every cup I use at someone's house before I drink from it. But I shove down my disgust and drink from cups at other people's houses anyway. Their argument is that at least it is hot water they wash the cup with and that still does not compare to how gross it is that Americans would be willing to spit in the kitchen sink.
Oh my goodness, it was a funny conversation. I wish you all could have been in the middle of it because we were laughing and laughing.
I did discover an understanding about culture, though. The reason it is so rude to walk into someone's kitchen here is because of the issues with poverty. That person really might not have anything at all in their kitchen to eat. So, rather than embarrassing them by observing their financial struggle, it is polite to stay out of the kitchen.
Maybe the no soap thing is also linked to poverty issues and having to conserve, so glasses that have only been drunk out of don't rate the use of soap.
But being so disgusted by spitting out your toothpaste in the sink still cracks me up :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzassippi said...

That is funny--especially since that sink is where you wash the dishes that people have had in their mouth, on their mouth, etc. What do they think about people in the US who let their dogs eat out of their plates when they are done? Now, I bet that would create some interesting discussion, too.

June 21, 2009 at 9:15 AM  
Blogger RICK-O said...

Is it true that in America Jeanne can come to my house and just open up the fridge or cabinets and get what she wants from the kitchen?

YES!

June 22, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home