Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One Interesting Conversation

So on my Turkish Air flight returning to South Africa from Belgium I had a very interesting conversation. It was the Belgium to Turkey (for a layover) leg of my flight. They have this amazing cherry juice on Turkish Air. I had no idea Turkey is known for its cherry juice, but if you ever get the chance to enjoy some Turkish cherry juice, go for it! Anyway, following this lovely cherry juice it was time for a bathroom break. There were a few people waiting at the bathrooms. Somehow one guy ended up stuck in the aisle. I moved to make room for him to stand out of the aisle. So, we began a conversation.
"Hello, I am Hassan." "Hi, I am Jeanne." "Where are you from?" "America, and you?" "Saudi Arabi"
At this point in the conversation total silence stood between us for several seconds. It was clear that neither of us knew how to respond. Here we stood, two random people that somehow knew that the division between our countries was very deep. Then came his very next statement,
"I love America."
It was said in a tone that expressed layers of tension between our nations. I smiled and said thank you and then told him that usually when traveling as an American I meet people who do not like America. He just said, "Oh, no, not me. I like America."
Then, the bathroom opened and it was my turn. End of conversation.
What a crazy moment in time. It is amazing how politics and stereotypes so deeply impact how we meet new people.
Then, came the really interesting part. A few minutes later Hassan returned to his seat a few rows in front of me. He had an open seat beside him and invited me to come and sit. My friends flying with me encouraged maybe this would be a chance to show the light of Jesus...go talk. For me, I was thinking this is completely uncomfortable but what an interesting opportunity to learn more about his nation. So I agreed.
He was handsome. Just a few years older than me. A policeman who works in an agriculture imports department. He had been to Belgium visiting a friend and building up a new travel agency business he is starting. He showed me his business card (the only reason I am actually certain of what his name was :) He was very nice, but there was something inside of me desperately aware that this was a strange conversation and I just could not relax. That is not my norm at all. I talk to all different people all the time. I don't know why this barrier was so hard. I must have looked horribly uncomfortable and nervous. Finally, he asked if I was nervous that he had asked me to come talk. I said no, though that wasn't really true. He said he was glad to have an opportunity to practice his English and it was fun chatting. It was also an interesting opportunity for him to talk with an American. He welcomed me to visit his country anytime. I told him he can visit South Africa (why do people always say silly things like that when meeting people while you travel). But the interesting part was that he said, no, he loves his country and that is where he knows he will stay. I've found that so many times. People from non-Western countries are always less likely to express an interest in traveling. They have such a stronger devotion to their own nations. And then that was the end of our interesting encounter. We both acknowledged it had been an interesting chat. I said a silent prayer wondering if I was suppose to say something openly about my faith. Then I wondered if he is a Muslim or if he had any faith at all. There was never an opening in our conversation for such talks and honestly I knew this discussion would have only fueled American stereotypes rather than shine a light on the truth of Jesus. And so we shook hands, I prayed a pray inside of me for him to encounter the truth of Jesus, and I returned to my original seat.
What a fantastic conversation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home