Sunday, May 2, 2010

Is Anybody Reading This?

So just today I was complaining to a friend about how no one ever comments on my blog. It makes it hard to find motivation to write because I don't know if anyone actually reads this thing. I made a comparison to my friend, Paige, and said how I am most envious of her blog because she gets so many comments all the time.
Then, I pop on here today and what do I find...a comment. Yeah, a comment. And a few marks of "funny" & "interesting". I now officially know that in the past two weeks at least 3 people have read this blog. Thanks to all three of you :)

Such motivation warrants some random ramblings....
I made a mistake paying my rent this month. It is another example of how I still have to transition to the different pace and ways of life here. Sometimes now I've gotten comfortable and I forget to keep my guard up always watching for something I might not be aware of.
When I moved here and got the car I quickly learned that people seldom accept cash here for large purchases. It simply is not safe to have that much cash around all the time. As a result it is common practice to pay payments in directly to the bank.
Moving into the house I currently live in, I learned that rent is also paid in directly to the bank. I also discovered (at least for where I live now) that rent is paid by the last day of the previous month. For example, my rent for May was due on April 30. I usually try to pay a bit early but due to my being sick for the past little while, I found myself trying to pay rent on Friday, the 30th. At which point I realized I had gotten to comfortable with the whole rent paying issue and not paid enough attention. The bank my landlord uses closes at 3:30pm every day. 3:30???? How do you get business done that way. My American brain leaps in and tells me how this is a ridiculous way of doing business. 3:30, Monday - Friday, just does not compute with me. But none the less, I showed up at 3:40 on Friday, wanting to make sure not to be later than 4:00 since it was a Friday (that is how it works in America, anyway.) A bank should, in my American thinking, stay open until 6pm, at least, on Monday - Thursday so people can go after work. Although, again in my American way of thinking, a bank may close at 4:00 or so on Friday to make up for the late hours the other days of the week. Apparently this is not the way of thinking in South Africa. I'm sure the banks here know the best hours for accommodating good business here in this culture, but I was not prepared for said hours. And now.....I have to be there upon opening Monday morning to deposit my rent and pray a prayer that maybe a one time late rent is not the end of the world in South Africa.

6 Comments:

Blogger Suzassippi said...

Given how long it took you to post the comment, I wondered if YOU were reading your blog. LOL

May 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Susan, I have to acknowledge you are my most faithful commenter and appreciate that!!!!
And, I just changed my settings so anyone can leave a comment now (trying to increase people's opportunities) and so I put this monitor on so that I can at least check what is being posted. But the thing is when I got your comment I was still discovering how to actually allow your comment.
Got it down now! So, I'll end my excuses :)

May 2, 2010 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger Suzassippi said...

Yes, I always ask to be notified of comments; one, in case one is not appropriate and I want to delete it--which I have had happen on occasion--and two, so I can know without having to look at every post all the time. Sometimes folks comment on older posts, and without notification, you don't know that.

Feels like June or July in SA right now--raining raining raining!

May 2, 2010 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Hey, this is great, with our conversation going back and forth I'm actually up to 4 messages to this post now. A new record. Granted, two of these comments are from myself, but I'm going to overlook that detail :)
Yeah, this was a new discovery for me to review comments. I finally explored some of the options in blogging. I had an amazing lady set my blog up for me and have never actually explored it myself until now.
Oh, and I read up on Alaska Steve's fundraiser after reading your blog. Looked fun! They do that here in Cape Town, too, and many of the SA celebs dye there hair and then shave it.
Oh, and enjoy the rain....we could actually use some here right now. But I'm sure I'll be eating those words in another month.

May 2, 2010 at 3:16 PM  
Anonymous Christina Truitt! said...

Hey I read it too!! Sorry, I'm not real good at leaving comments! I love what you have to say and seeing all your videos! Miss you!!

May 2, 2010 at 6:03 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Thanks, Christina, it is so great to hear from you!!! I'm glad to know you read :)

May 4, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home